I like the description we give to the season of Advent: Expectant Waiting. For me, Advent is the best season of the church calendar, and it does bring me childhood memories. (My childhood was not turbulent and I am aware that some people would rather not be reminded of their childhood). Nevertheless, the innocence of childhood provides a spiritual compass for our life of faith.
Try to look at the season in the eyes of children. Granted; the whole holiday season is so commercialized (for adults) that much of its spirituality has been lost. Children, nevertheless, truly experience the season as expectant waiting. The Christmas trees and decorations – they all point to one thing: Gifts to be unwrapped one morning in the not too long future. The waiting is worthwhile and there is certainty of that being waited for.
That is my childhood memory of Advent. It was the time we got new clothes – to be unveiled on Christmas day. We did not have Christmas trees or gifts covered in special wrappings. But whatever we got for Christmas could not be worn before that day. We knew what we had, but we waited expectantly for that day.
The waiting was often long – as it usually is, with children. But there was certainty of the end of the waiting. During the waiting period, we checked on what we had, often; sometimes several times a day, just to make sure that everything was still there. We even tried them on, to make sure they still fit. But we had to wait for Christmas day to step out in our new clothes.
Despite the commercialized version of the season as we have it now, we can still recapture its spirituality by cherishing the reality of Jesus Christ in our lives. With him we are guaranteed true fulfillment and enjoyment of everything we expect and hope for in life. Often, the commercialization leads to misery and exhaustion. The childlike spirituality, on the other hand, is the bliss of the season.
- Welcoming Christmas season: Advent. (superriska.wordpress.com)
- Advent – the Season of Waiting (raymcdonald.wordpress.com)
- Coming Soon ~ Pender’s Own Advent Devotional! (pendernews.org)
- Preparing for Advent: Waiting in Joyful Hope (holinessinmotherhood.wordpress.com)
- Morning Meditation: Advent – An Invitation from Me to You (dosedependent.me)
- Advent season (svsucatholics.wordpress.com)
- The Season of Advent – Anticipation and Hope (mumbailaity.wordpress.com)
- Fasting while Waiting: Advent (christianityandvirtue.wordpress.com)
- What Is The Christmas Season Truly All About (mcbce.wordpress.com)